As the winter months draw in, the evenings are darker, and the nights much longer - what does this mean? It’s baby-making time! Have you noticed how many babies arrive in those late summer/early Fall months? I definitely have. I think there’s something about the cosiness of winter that brings us closer. I also think many women make the decision to start trying for a baby around New Year when all our hopes and dreams become the focus.
However, we don’t tend to associate the winter months with being at the height of our best health. This is the time when you might be more sedentary, eat less health-consciously, tackle colds and flu, and feel a little less bright. In fact, prolonged darkness due to wintery weather and seasonal shifts can cause you to stop ovulating consistently or experience changes in your cycle. All of which means that if you want to conceive it’s a good idea to really concentrate on amplifying your fertility with some targeted, intelligent diet and lifestyle choices.
I have put together the 5 best ways to naturally improve your fertility, particularly at this time of year. These are just some of the things I personally did to get my own body ready for baby. Getting pregnant is about so much more than taking a pre-natal vitamin and folic acid - although, I do recommend pre-natal supplementation. I just also recommend you take control by consciously choosing to support your ovaries in succeeding in their vocation!
5 ways to naturally improve your fertility
- Let the sun shine! Sunlight is so important for healthy fertility, but often winter means darker days with long nights and cloudy weather. That natural vitamin D3 boost maximizes your ability to conceive naturally - in fact, I took a little sunshine-heavy mini-break myself prior to conceiving my daughter. Studies have revealed that 93% of women dealing with infertility issues are vitamin D3 deficient. Unfortunately D3 supplements are just not a good enough source to counter this problem, you really do need sunshine. So, if you can, book a mini-break like me to someplace where stretching out in the sun by the pool or on the beach is the main motivation for the trip! Be sure to avoid chemical-laden sunscreens though and switch up your diet instead to protect your skin.
- Boost your breakfast. The absolute best winter season breakfast if you’re looking to get pregnant is buckwheat and cinnamon! Good thing it’s delicious too! Hormonal balance hinges on a good, nourishing breakfast and this combination will stabilize your blood sugar and support regular ovulation.
- Revitalize your vagina! Your vagina has its own little eco-system going on and that eco-system needs to be in balance and harmonious for your body to welcome a baby. Issues with the health of your vaginal flora in the way of “bacterial vaginosis” (which some 30% of American women likely suffer with) can lead to the prevention of fertilization of an egg, spontaneous miscarriage, and a higher risk of preterm birth. Your vagina’s well-being is sourced in your gut!! Your gut health/gut microbiome impacts your vaginal microbiome/eco-system. There are 3 supplements you can be taking to avoid or to heal bacterial vaginosis.
- Avocuddle! You want to be eating an avocado a day when you’re trying to conceive. Researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health discovered that avocados contain the best kind of monounsaturated fat and the least saturated fat, making them the ideal food for boosting the health of your eggs. Avoiding saturated fat - found in the likes of butter and red meat - is equally important to making sure you’re getting those good fats from extra avocados. I love avocados for breakfast and as a snack - try some of my recipes.
- Get a jump on! I have one piece of exercise equipment at home and that’s an urban rebounder. I jump on my mini trampoline first thing in the morning for 10 minutes to get some low-impact, lymphatic circulation-boosting, estrogen-metabolizing fun! I sometimes even jump back on during the day to take a break from sitting at my desk. It’ll bring out the kid in you and help you conceive a kid of your own!
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this - the science of your body is on your side!
to your FLO,
Good things come in threes:
I want to hear from you!
First, do you hope to conceive soon?
Second, have you struggled with infertility?
Third, everyone you know is hormonal – spread a little good ovary karma and share this article on social 😉
Are You Trying to Conceive?
If you want to do everything in your power to improve your chances of becoming a mom—then we want to help you optimize your fertility.
Whether you are just starting to think about having a baby, or have already tried naturally or have been trying with IVF, our Fertile FLO Program will help improve your chances of conception.
Click here to download my FREE guide, The 5 Health Foods to Avoid to Get and Stay Pregnant.