Plus the 2 tests you should do with your doctor whether you want a baby this year or next decade!
I absolutely know for a fact that if I had not started eating and living in sync with my hormones back in my twenties I would not have this gorgeous baby here on my lap today. I was so far down the road with my PCOS that it would have been impossible for me to conceive naturally at the age of 37 if I had not changed my lifestyle long before I even thought I wanted to have a child.
1 in 8 couples will come up against fertility problems. These days if you are not actively engaging in protecting and preserving your fertility it’s all too likely that you too will become a statistic. Sadly everything in our environment, the way we organize our days, what we put in and on our bodies, conspires to disrupt our endocrine system and prevent us from conceiving.
We live busy lives, we have 5 year plans, we have 10 year plans, and then when we decide we want a baby, usually we want it right now! But if we’ve not put in the work beforehand of removing the obstacles that are put in the way of what our bodies are designed to do so well, then we find ourselves stuck, needing help like IVF that is costly to both our health and our bank account.
I don’t want you (or anyone) to be that 1 in 8. The amazing news is that you are reading this and therefore you’ve already made that necessary, conscious decision to choose juicy, vibrant fertility for yourself.
You can change your fertile factors with food!
I once had a woman come to me at the age of 43, desperate. Her doctor had told her that her FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) levels - a key fertile factor- indicated there was no way she was having a baby naturally. Within three months of living in her Flo, with my support, her FSH levels were in the super-fertile range. She got pregnant naturally and gave birth to her baby just recently. FSH levels are extremely responsive to the changes in diet and lifestyle that we encourage here at Flo Living.
Steps to take Now to Protect your Fertility
But, even if you’re 23 instead of 43, I’m here to tell you that starting now will not only give you a better baby-free life of higher energy, happier moods, hot sex drive, and pleasant periods, but will also mean that if and when you do want a baby, he or she will arrive right on schedule.
I’m going to give you a few simple ways you can invest in your health today to make a big difference to your future.
And Baby Makes 3 - 3 Surprising Fertility Boosting Foods
- Chickpeas - high in natural estrogen, the best way to get more chickpeas into your diet is to make your own hummus. Keep a batch in your fridge to eat with credité. Here’s a quick recipe: 1 can chickpeas, 1 T tahini, 1 T lemon juice, 1 T olive oil, pinch salt - puree add water to get to desired consistency.
- Cinnamon - excellent for stabilizing your blood sugar and supporting regular ovulation, you can get more of this spice into your day by sprinkling it on your oatmeal at breakfast, adding fresh cinnamon sticks to hot water for a refreshing drink, or trying my favorite herbal tea - Tazo Organic Baked Cinnamon Apple Infusion.
- Salmon and all omega 3-rich fatty fish - my mom was visiting me and the baby recently and she emerged from my kitchen with this small bowl of fish pate she had mashed together from sardines mixed with tahini and lemon juice. I did not think this was going to taste good, but it is absolutely delicious! Not only do you get the omega-3 boost, but you also get a ton of calcium here too! It’s the perfect snack that’s so satisfying and tasty, I promise. Here's the recipe: open 1 can sardines packed in water, add 2 T organic tahini, 2 tsp lemon juice, salt to taste and mash up with a fork - spread on celery or gluten free toast.
As a bonus I also want to tell you about the 3 things you really need to avoid or reconsider when seeking to preserve your fertility. Because you can add all you like to your present diet, but some obstacles to staying fertile are too big to ignore.
3 Hidden Fertility Dangers
- Canola oil - never use it in cooking, check for it in ingredients lists, and ask to have it come nowhere near you meal at a restaurant. It is high in Omega-9’s, disrupts your Omega-3 levels, causing inflammation that contributes to long term fertility issues. If you’re not supplementing with Omega-3’s, even just a little exposure to this oil can do real harm.
- Pesticides - studies show that eliminating the pesticides found on food from your diet for just 7 days has a hugely positive impact on your body. There are certain foods you must only buy as organic - such as celery, peppers and tomatoes, all greens, berries, melons, pears and peaches (see my book WomanCode for the full rundown). Once you’re eating 80% of the time or more in your Flo then a slip here or there will be much easier to withstand.
- The birth control pill - I recommend that, with the support of your doctor, you take a 3 month break from the Pill. Consider it a check-in with your fertility. You’ll soon discover whether your period comes back right away or not at all. Follow my directions here on how to come off without a hitch. If being off the pill you discover your cycle is out of whack, then the good news is you caught it well in advance of when you would want to try to conceive, giving you plenty of stress-free time to work on balacing your hormones naturally and optimizing your fertility.
2 Tests that can give you a snapshot of your fertility today
And, as promised, the two tests I want you to schedule with your doctor today so that you have a fair advantage when fixing your fertility. Your doctor likely won’t suggest these to you until there is a problem, so you will need to take the initiative. Whatever news you receive, you have a clear path forward - change your diet now to change your fertile factors! This information is empowering and gives you the motivation you need to make the necessary changes.
- Ovarian reserve - if you find you only have a few eggs left and you’re in your 20s or 30s, maybe even some time before you’d consider getting pregnant, then you can decide whether freezing your eggs might be the best choice.
- FSH levels (follicle stimulating hormone) - if you find your FSH is too high, don’t get anxious, instead take action by eating the Flo Living way so this number can be lowered in a matter of months.
Good things come in threes:
I want to hear from you!
First: Are you concerned about your fertility? Are you thinking about doing things differently now to protect your fertility in the future?
Second: Share your #fertileFlo experiments - what are you going to try from my recommendations? What’s your favorite hummus recipe? Did you like my sardine snack?
Third: You know every one you know is hormonal – spread a little good ovary karma and share this article on social by clicking the buttons below
Are You Trying to Conceive?
If you want to do everything in your power to improve your chances of becoming a mom—then we want to help you optimize your fertility.
Whether you are just starting to think about having a baby, or have already tried naturally or have been trying with IVF, our Fertile FLO Program will help improve your chances of conception.
Click here to download my FREE guide, The 5 Health Foods to Avoid to Get and Stay Pregnant.