I’m no big fan of the quick fix. If you know me, you know I advocate for making good choices every day, creating sustainable lifestyle shifts, that last for the long term. It’s an evidence based, results-driven perspective and it really works.
However, I do recommend the right kind of detox, at the right time. If you are feeling the detox itch after a long summer of a few too many beachside cocktails, backyard BBQs, and vacation-mode eating and drinking, then seize that impulse to take better care of yourself and do a hormone detox.
Many health issues – including fatigue, acne, depression, anxiety, brain fog, mood swings, and weight gain (the kind of things that make you want to do a detox in the first place) are down to too-high estrogen levels or a condition we call “estrogen dominance.” Estrogen dominance drives the most common hormonal health issues too, from PMS to PCOS. Detoxing your body of excess estrogen has many immediate and long term benefits.
If you feel the need for a detox it’s likely because your liver is running at a sub-optimal level, it’s overloaded with caffeine, alcohol, pesticides, sugar etc and you are sensing the need to cleanse. A detox is not a crash diet, juice cleanse, or fast – that won’t achieve the goals you’ve set out. If you want to feel energized, refreshed, boosted in body and spirit, as well as lose a few pounds and get glowing skin – you need nutrients, minerals, and resources to make this happen.
My 4 Day Hormone Detox will have you eating fresh, nourishing food for 3 meals a day, plus snacks. You won’t feel hungry, hangry, or deprived. You will be prepping food to start and then you will be eating frequently throughout the day, instead of watching the clock for your next juice. The foods you’ll be eating will fill you up and support your liver function. You can download it for free here: 4-Day Detox
Your liver needs the fuel to process the excess hormones and toxins and eliminate them from your body. The 4 Day Hormone Detox is packed full of cleansing foods that address your liver, intestines and lymphatic system. Your elimination organs – especially your hard-working liver – need lots of nutrients to breakdown toxins, and you get nutrients from food. You do not and will not get enough nutrients from a juice fast or cabbage soup diet for your body to detox!
There are so many good reasons to do a hormone detox – acne, bloating, sore breasts, PMS, funky periods, feeling sluggish, unable to focus, lacking creative juices – but I want to tell you how my 4 Day Hormone Detox can make you feel. Because sometimes the problem isn’t enough to prompt us to take action, perhaps because you’ve been living with it so long it feels like nothing will work. Sometimes you need some positive inspiration!
If you’ve tried detoxing before and it just hasn’t worked out the way you wanted, this post is for you. Read on to hear what you need to make detoxing not just something you live through, but something you look forward to! In fact, many of my Cycle-Syncers do this detox once every few months.
Why you need to do a hormone detox
- Your skin will glow – during the 4 days of the hormone detox you will eliminate entirely all the central adult and hormonal acne triggers like dairy, soy, caffeine, sugar, and gluten. You will also increase the amount of skin-clearing, hormone-supportive nutrients in your diet – especially the vital omega-3s and B vitamins. Excess estrogen and the resulting hormonal imbalance leads to acne by increasing sebum production and preventing skin healing. If you are particularly prone to acne around your ovulation days or before your period, this detox is for you.
- Your mood will soar – if you’ve been experiencing anxiety, low mood, depression, or just a sluggishness and demotivation, then this detox will turn that around in 4 days. You’ll feel emotionally lighter, as well as physically lighter. The root cause of mood swings and many female-centric mood problems is destabilized blood sugar. This detox is not a fast, will not leave you hungry in the evening, and should keep you satisfied and stable throughout the day. Most women experience their worst moods as a form of PMS, which is the result of high estrogen/low progesterone – this detox will sweep your body of that excess estrogen and leave you in balance. You’ll be eating lots of B6-rich foods and B6 is the progesterone’s favorite micronutrient.
- You will shift your relationship with food – after 4 days you’ll no longer feel bloated and, it’s very likely, you’ll lose a few pounds. With excess estrogen many women store weight round their middle. For my detox you will be eating anti-bloat ingredients in your fruit salads and green salads at every meal, plus you will be eliminating many sources of weight gain – sugar, caffeine, dairy. But, and I feel more importantly, you will also shift how you feel about food. The detox includes guidance on how to approach your detox foods, not just from the practical point of prepping meals, but from how you actually engage with and enjoy that food. The aim is to give you pause about how you may have related to food up to now – perhaps that’s eating standing up, with the fridge door open, on-the-go, off your kids’ plates etc. There will be lessons you can carry with you beyond the 4 days.
- You’ll feel creative and calm – during the detox, you’ll have prompts for how you can process your experience at the end of each day. You’ll be journaling on specific topics that aim to expand your perspective, increase your sense of confidence and calm, and support you in connecting with your feminine energy and creativity. This will be a conversation with yourself and your body that will help you get so much out of this mini-retreat. A detox can be a transformational experience. You can use that energy to make positive changes in your life long term. The clarity of thinking and focus you’ll attain will help you to hone in on exactly what you want in all areas, personal and professional.
- You’ll detox more than your body – my detox has an additional layer that you won’t find with most detox plans. You won’t only be detoxing your diet and concentrating on what you eat during the day, you’ll also be detoxing your home – the products you use, everything from kitchen cleaning products to cosmetics. This is so essential. We often focus entirely on what we put in our bodies when we detox, but we don’t think of what we’re putting on our body in the shower in the morning, or on our skin when we wash the dishes or do the laundry. Women, especially, are exposed to so many endocrine-disruptive chemicals throughout the day. It’s just as important to detox and cleanse your personal environment.
Adding in a micronutrient boost with the right supplements can take your detox to the next level. I highly recommend incorporating the Balance by FLO Living Hormone Supplements to your detox. You can find out more about those here.
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this – the science of your body is on your side!
To your FLO,
Introducing the BALANCE by FLO Living Hormone Supplement Kit
You’ve been asking me for hormone-friendly supplement recommendations, and I finally have created a solution that I am so thrilled to be able to offer to you on your hormonal balancing journey:
Balance by FLO Living Supplements are a complete package that work together to keep your hormone levels healthy. They include a 2 month (2 cycle) supply of the following formulations so you’re never caught short in any phase of your cycle.
When you take these 5 supplements daily, you’ll be giving your body excellent micronutrients to support healthier hormone levels. Which means that you’ll start to see your worst period symptoms get better… and even disappear after a while.
Take My Quiz to Find Out How Your Period Is Affecting Your Health!
You don’t have to lose one week each month to period problems like bloating, acne, PMS, fatigue, depression, and low libido. The V-SIGN quiz helps you interpret your period, understand your symptoms, and make lifestyle changes that can transform your hormonal health — and help erase your symptoms — in as little as three month. Take the quiz here. It takes under 5 minutes and your results, plus a plan will be emailed to you!