The Benefits of Bathing with Salts and The Ritual of Bathing
While it’s cold and blustery outside, inside it’s toasty and warm – and a great time for taking advantage of one of the oldest and most widely used forms of healing. Cultures throughout time and from all ends of the globe have traditionally “taken the waters” as a way to detoxify the body, heal various ailments and illnesses, and improve their overall health.
In today’s modern world, these ancient healing practices can be a luxurious and important tool for creating and maintaining vibrant health and well-being. Many aspects of our daily lives – high fat diets, artificial foods, stress, pesticides, pollution, plastics, and power lines, to name but a few – can combine to overload our organs of elimination (our liver, kidneys and skin), making them unable to properly process out used estrogens and other metabolic wastes.
Indulge, relax, and enjoy!
One of the most pleasurable tools for supporting your body in its natural detoxification process is weekly or daily therapy with salt and water. Soaking in salts or scrubbing down with them feels glorious. Plus it draws toxins out of the body and lets important minerals soak in.
Some of the benefits of bathing with salts include:
* stimulates circulation
* reduces skin inflammation
* relieves muscle tension (great if you sit at a computer all day!)
* polishes skin
* opens pores and draws out toxins
* nourishes the body with calcium, magnesium and potassium
* helps clear out “emotional static” left from dealing with other people
Create your own spa rituals at home
Try adding salts to a hot bath, using salts in the water for your hot towel scrub, or scrubbing down with salts and essential oils in the shower. Allow yourself to make these practices a consistent and conscious part of your self-care routine – you’ll notice the difference, and your body will thank you!
Need help getting started?
Here are some of our favorite bath products:
* Masada Dead Sea Mineral Bath Salts: high-quality, affordable bath salts scented with a variety of essential oils; try eucalyptus for managing winter colds.
* Sunshine Spa Herbal Salt Scrub: great in the shower; salts are suspended in luscious, healthy carrier oils from almonds, sunflower seeds, grape seeds, and avocados; try lavender for rest and relaxation.
* Trillium Organic Body Polish: great in the shower and healthy enough to eat; salts are suspended in safflower oil and vitamin e for moisture balance; try pink grapefruit for cleansing and refreshing.
* Or try making your own! Start with coarsely ground sea salt – either add it to your bath water with a few drops of your favorite essential oil, or combine it in a jar with an equal amount of coconut, olive, or sesame oil and a few drops of an essential oil to use as a shower scrub.
Then treat yourself to a nice long soak with candles, hot tea, and a good book. Be sure your favorite cozy pajamas are waiting nearby!
Tell us your spa stories!
What are your favorite home spa treats? Has our ode to bathing with salts inspired you to create new self-care rituals? Talk to us in the comments section below!