Winter is coming and that means cold, cough and flu season is heading our way fast like a building storm. Balanced hormones will provide you with a healthy, active immune system that’s ready to take on pretty much anything. So eating in your Flo already (or starting today!) will make a big difference to how the next season works out for you and your health. However, there are some other (surprising!) ways to build on this foundation that will gear up your immunity to superhero status.
Hormonal balance is a big part of the immunity-protection process, but also –
– your adrenal and thyroid glands need to be in their prime
– getting stressed out and producing too much cortisol is going to leave your immune system more vulnerable to overwhelm
– your gut microbiome is critical in the strength of your immune system so you need to nourish it
I live in Manhattan and germs are everywhere (ever read those studies about the bacteria on New York subway seats or hand rails? Ewww…). Getting sick isn’t always about germs, it’s more about your ability to manage exposure to germs and how your body responds. You need to support your immune system as an integrated part of your overall health in order to help it handle anything you might end up being exposed to.
The 5 surprising, natural ways to boost your immunity
- Orgasm! Yes, yes, yes! It’s super important that you have regular orgasms (maybe you should print this out and put it on the fridge for your partner to see?). The blend of nitric oxide and boosted oxytocin that comes about when you orgasm increases the efficiency and power of your immune system response. More sex = less colds. Follow my FLO formula to orgasm every time – partner not necessary.
- Take time off. Ten years ago or so it was common practice to stay home from work or school when sick to get better and not spread the virus around. These days it seems like we all think we have to power through and turn up at our desk no matter what. One sick day at home in bed or on the sofa is going to help you recover faster, let your immune system truly bounce back, and stop you getting sick again soon. It will also save your colleagues from the same illness. With kids – keep them home! One day off from school can allow them to recover faster.
- Go organic for Winter. If you’ve not gone organic already, then the start of Fall/Winter is the best time to do so. I know eating organic can be expensive – but so is time off work, medications, doctor’s visits and so on! Avoiding pesticides will support your immune system. Your immunity is created in your gut – pesticides make the wrong kinds of bacteria thrive and kill off the healthy bacteria you badly need. This one-two punch beats down your immune system.
- Stop binge drinking. Even one night a week or a month of drinking heavily is going to increase gut inflammation. Yes – that becomes your new normal and makes you way more likely to get every cough, cold, and flu going around. You can fix it and regain your immunity, but first you have to stop the binge drinking so your body can actually absorb the nutrients and minerals it needs to heal itself and then protect you.
- Listen to Old Wive’s Tales. Ever heard “feed a cold, starve a fever”? Well, it’s exactly right. Funny how some of the old sayings and wisdoms that have stuck around are still here because they speak the truth. If you do get sick, feed your cold an antioxidant-rich diet that’s very plant based. I’m talking juices, salads, cooked veggies, fresh fruit. For a fever – lots of bone broth with nothing else in it as well as warm water with lemon juice. Also – pack your medicine cabinet with hormone-friendly natural remedies to reach for.
Try my favorite cold-busting, immune-boosting juice recipe:
½ a carrot
¼ a beet
Juice of ½ a lemon
¼ cup of chopped ginger
½ cup of pineapple
Juice of ½ an orange
1 tablespoon of manuka honey
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this – the science of your body is on your side!
to your FLO,
Good things come in threes:
I want to hear from you!
First, do you find that you get sick a lot?
Second, what’s your favorite cold/flu natural remedy? Share with us!
Third, everyone you know is hormonal – spread a little good ovary karma and share this article on social 😉
Need more Hormone Help?
If you’re needing some health upgrading, it’s time you started you looking into what’s going on with your hormones.
I’ve designed a 4 day hormone detox and evaluation to help you understand exactly what’s out of whack and how you can start getting back to balance so that your hormones no longer have to suffer.
Click here to get your FREE detox and evaluation!