You might be surprised to hear that I got a head cold this month. It was a surprise to me too, because it had been 3 whole years since I was last sick. When was the last time you were sick? I got this head cold from my daughter who, with a still growing and strengthening immune system, is susceptible. I’m more susceptible myself right now, not just because of close proximity to my daughter’s cold, but because my immunity is slightly suppressed from breastfeeding and sleep interruption – you know, living with a two year old!
Having kids can make you more likely to get sick – it’s not just that they go to nursery, pre-school and school with a bunch of other kids, but also that you’re often finding yourself losing sleep, not eating properly, getting stressed – all the kinds of things that can weaken your immunity.
But as the seasons change, with the shift in temperature to cooler days and cold nights, everyone’s body experiences a phase of down-regulation of metabolism which if you’re already on toxic overload and decreased immunity can make you susceptible to catching what’s going around. That’s why instead of waiting to spot treat illnesses as the come along, it’s always a good idea to be well-prepared with an immune-strengthening diet and lifestyle in every season.
So, what did I do when I got sick? I took really good care of myself by reaching for my favorite immunity-boosting supplements. I dosed myself with these, plus bone broth and large helpings of sauerkraut. I kept myself well hydrated. And you know what, I fought that head cold off fast! I already had my medicine cabinet packed with natural remedies that support my body’s own immunity strengths.
The 7 best immunity-boosting supplements
Remember that no amount of supplements will prevent you from getting sick unless you eat a diet every day of the year that consists of foods that boost your health, and avoid immunity-sapping activities like drinking too much alcohol, coffee, not getting enough sleep, and not practicing self-care. These supplements are very effective, but only as a part of a wider daily, year-round effort to support your body’s needs.
- Vitamin C – you immune system cells need vitamin C to perform at their best. Research has shown that those who suffer with stress or are in high-energy positions (like every mom I know!) can see a significant reduction – up to 50% – in the number of colds they get and the severity of those colds by taking vitamin C supplements.
- Echinacea – this herbal remedy is proven to protect against colds and lessen the severity of cold symptoms.
- Zinc – zinc plays a central role in the immune system. One of the first signs of zinc deficiency is increased coughs and colds. Zinc is one of the most researched nutrients in terms of its importance to our immunity.
- D3 – vitamin D deficiency is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies there is and it’s best supplemented with sun exposure. If you live in a part of the world that’s dark most of winter, consider booking a sunny break. Be sure to maximize your sun time when it is summer, prior to the winter months setting in.
- Probiotics – the more we come to understand the immune system, the more we come to realize much of our health lies in our balance of gut bacteria. Sauerkraut, kimchi, pickle juice, or a good quality probiotic supplement are essential throughout the year to maintain strong immunity.
- Elderberry – this herbal treatment is a great way to stimulate and enhance your immunity, as well as fight off the colds that you do end up with. It’s even good at fighting flu symptoms. Consider using this supplement before and after you know you will be exposed to other people’s germs, for example when you have a flight home for the holidays or a work party.
- Fermented cod liver oil – this supplement gives you those essential fatty acids that are critical to health. It also contains a good amount of vitamin D and another immunity-boosting nutrient, vitamin A.
Always remember, that once you have the right information about how your body really works, you can start making health choices that finally start to work for you! You can do this – the science of your body is on your side!
to your FLO,
Good things come in threes:
I want to hear from you!
First, do you often get colds?
Second, do you take supplements and what kind?
Third, everyone you know is hormonal – spread a little good ovary karma and share this article on social 😉
Is Your Period Healthy?
How do you know if your hormones are healthy? The answer is in your 5th vital sign – your period.
The color of your flow, frequency of your period, and symptoms you have each month can tell you a lot about your health. There are 5 different V-SIGN TYPES, and knowing which one you have will help you get healthy now and prevent disease in the future.